See what I have been up to.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Annual Pilgrimage to Deception Pass

I finally had a day to return to Deception Pass- where I first started to paddle dynamic environments. Usually there are winter storms with strong sustained westerly winds, but with the oddity of this year's weather pattern, there has been perhaps one, and I was on a plane back from Scotland when that happened.  Our group consisted of the usual suspects- Michelle, Leslie, Jason, and I- we also ran into Ed, Kim, Maxine, and the other Kim too.
Looking into the Pass early in the ebb.
We surfed in Canoe Pass, inside the main Pass, outside the main pass, and out by Deception Island.  As the flow changes, different locations stand up in different ways at different times. As soon as one area started to wane, we would look for the next best set of waves.

Following Jason out to Deception Island.
After lunch, we took a trip out to the island, which has a large eddy on the backside where people could rest as the rest of the group surfed.

Jason took the opportunity to practice being rescued- of everyone I paddle with he swims the most.

Jason dropping into the outer race.
Working the race.
Leslie dropping into a wave.
Not a huge day, but plenty of waves.
Leslie caught a couple great waves in a row- I was jealous that she was there and I wasn't.

Leslie working hard.
Leslie and Jason taking a break in the eddy.
Jason catching a ride.
Can you see Michelle?
I'm hopeful that there will be a few more spring storms, where we can get back out and work in the chop of wind against current in Deception Pass. It is one of my favorite places to paddle and it only gets better with conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment