See what I have been up to.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Not a bad Saturday (Upper Middle Snoqualmie River)

After my plans to head to the coast fell through, I got in touch with a few friends from the Paddle Trails Canoe Club and we headed WAY up to the Upper section of the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River. It was my first time running this section, but Tom, Rich and I added a bit of fun by taking out at Island Drop which is on the Middle section. 
The Upper was incredibly scenic-the Cascades rose steeply on either side, and the greens of a forest in spring are unsurpassed.
Erich working his way downstream
Tom
Setting safety at one of two bedrock bends
At Island Drop, the take out rapid, the river bends gently to the left before cutting hard right-and the take out is on the left where it cuts back. So to make the takeout you need to work across the river and get out before getting pushed downstream. I tried to cheat and take the left line, which was great until the last section of the drop-my knees took a pounding! Next time I will take the right line, eddy out, and then ferry across to access the take out.
Island Drop (takeout rapid)
Island Drop right line close up

No comments:

Post a Comment